You are here

Tuition & Costs

When pursuing a graduate degree, funding options are usually on the top of a student's list of information to gather. The information provided below is given to you as a courtesy and is for your reference. In response to this courtesy, we ask that you read the information in its entirety and ONLY apply for funding options to which you are eligible.

Remember a graduate degree is both a financial and professional investment in your future. On average, persons who earn a master's degree earn more than those with a bachelor's degree, and persons who earn a doctorate degree earn more than those with a master's degree. The long-term gain on your investment in graduate school may be worth the expense now.


Tuition and Fees

The current graduate school tuition and fees as well as important payment dates are posted through the Office of the Bursar which is also called the Student Cashiers Center.

All courses taken in a distance format (online or hybrid) are assessed a per credit hour E-learning support fund fee. This fee is in addition to graduate school tuition.  See the Office of Distance Learning website for more information.


International Student Cost Estimate

International students must be able to furnish proof of financial responsibility to meet educational and living costs. The University cannot guarantee financial support to international graduate students or assume responsibility for obtaining financial aid.

 These are expenses for Graduate-level students for the 2016-2017 year (based on a 9-hr. graduate enrollment in the Fall and Spring semesters). This estimate is based on the fall and spring semesters ONLY. All fees are subject to change without notice.

Type of Expense Estimated Cost
Tuition and Fees (Non-Resident) $24,500.00
Living Expenses* $10,300.00
Books and Supplies $1,200.00
Mandatory International Health Insurance $1,115.00
TOTAL $37,115.00

*Based on on-campus living; off campus accommodations tend to be more expensive.

Please note that if dependents (i.e., spouse or children) will accompany the student to the U.S., proof of additional funding must be provided ($2,000 for spouse and $1,000 for each child).

Last updated 3/13/2017


Scholarships in their traditional form are not typical funding options for graduate students. Please contact your academic department to see if scholarship funding is available.

The Alumni Association Endowed Scholarship is awarded once per year to a graduate student. Applications are due March 1st.

Other forms of funding include assistantships and fellowships.

McNair Graduate Scholars Program

Graduate school applicants who participated in and completed a McNair Scholars Program during their undergraduate studies are eligible for a non-refundable application fee waiver and a tuition and fee waiver. Learn more regarding the eligibility requirements and application process.


Other than assistantships, fellowships, and self-funding, loans are the primary way graduate students fund their education. Remember, graduate school is an investment in your future. Loans are available to graduate students through federal student aid and private lenders; private lenders typically carry higher interest rates than federal loans. Federal loans are awarded through Student Financial Aid office. International students are generally not eligible for federal loans and must have a co-signer who is a U.S. citizen to be eligible.

Graduate students considering loans as a funding option, whether $1000 or $20,000, should schedule an appointment to meet with a financial aid counselor. Contact Student Financial Aid to schedule an appointment or visit their website for more information.

To start the process, you should submit the following materials in a timely fashion.

    Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by the appropriate deadlines (by April 1 for summer enrollment, by May 1 for fall enrollment, and by mid-fall for spring enrollment).
  • Data Form for Financial Aid
    After you are admitted to graduate school, complete the data form for financial aid through ULink.
  • Complete Entrance Counseling
    If you are a first-time borrower through UL Lafayette, complete Entrance Counseling (click on Loan Info link) after completing the FAFSA.
  • Transcripts
    The Financial Aid office must receive transcripts from all universities you attended.

All students who receive federal loans through Student Financial Aid should regularly check their UL Lafayette email account, especially over the summer, since this is the primary way university offices communicate with you.

Note: Any program of study that does not lead to a degree or a certificate awarded by UL Lafayette is not eligible for financial aid.  Full=-time enrollment for graduate students is 9 graduate credit hours.

Teacher Tuition Incentive and Teacher Tuition Exemption

The Teacher Tuition Incentive program is awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis to current Louisiana teachers (elementary and secondary only) who are seeking a master’s or doctorate degree in education or the graduate certificate in Non-Public Schools: Administration. For more information on this program, including the application for funds that must be completed each semester, visit this page.

The Teacher Tuition Exemption program is now administered through individual school boards. Current Louisiana teachers should contact their school board office directly for more information.

Veterans and the G.I. Bill

Are you a U.S. Veteran who served in active duty, whether combat or non-combat, within the last 15 years? Did you know the G.I. Bill applies to graduate school also? Please visit this site to learn more on funding options for graduate school. The Grad School Center through may also be of assistance to you.  You may also contact Sammi Zapata in the UL Lafayette Office of Veterans Services at or (337) 482-5206.