The graduate certificate in TESOL provides training in the fundamentals of teaching English to non-native speakers. The program offers students with a Bachelor's degree in any discipline a thorough grounding in the English language so that they have the knowledge needed to teach in a variety of settings, including adult education, private companies, K-12 schools, and overseas. Note that every state has its own requirements for licensure. This program is not a substitute for the Master of Arts (MA) in English with a concentration in TESOL nor does it fully complete the state of Louisiana's requirements for ESOL teacher certification. All certificate courses can be applied to the MA should students decide to seek that degree.
Students must have a bachelor's degree in any field.
An applicant should submit the following items for admission:
- Online application for admission
- Application fee
- Official transcript showing a baccalaureate degree from an accredited university
Non-native speakers must also submit current, official TOEFL or IELTS scores. TOEFL scores below 550 on the written examination or below 79 on the Internet-based exam are not considered satisfactory. IELTS scores below 6.5 are not considered satisfactory.
Students must complete the following five courses:
- ENGL 452 Language, Culture and Society
- ENGL 506 Principles of Linguistics
- ENGL 561 Syntax, Morphology and Semantics for ESOL Teachers
- ENGL 562 Applied Phonetics and Pronunciation Teaching
- ENGL 563 Second Language Acquisition
Dr. Leah Orr
Phone: (337) 482-5462
Phone: (337) 482-1133
Griffin Hall 326
Visit the Department of English website for more information.