Your journey begins here. Learn more about requirements, expectations, and deadlines for admission to UL Lafayette’s Graduate School.
To be eligible for graduate study at UL Lafayette, you must:
- have (or soon have) a bachelor’s degree (or its equivalent) from a regionally accredited university. Learn more about how to provide proof of degree.
- provide satisfactory graduate entrance exam (GRE/GMAT) official test scores. See which scores, if any, your graduate program requires.
- demonstrate English language proficiency (TOEFL/IELTS) if you are an international applicant. Learn more about who is required to demonstrate English language proficiency.
Expectations for Graduate Admission
To be clear, your undergraduate academic performance and test scores are an important part of your graduate school application because they help predict how successful you’ll be in grad school. But they’re not everything!
Graduate admission decisions at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette are based on your entire application. We use a portfolio approach that allows stronger aspects of your application—for example, strong letters of reference or professional experience—to compensate for weaker parts, such as lower test scores.
When you submit your application, you are responsible for ensuring that you meet the admissions requirements. You are officially admitted only when you receive written notice from the Dean of the Graduate School. Correspondence from a department or faculty member does not guarantee your admission to UL Lafayette. The University is in compliance with all federal laws pertaining to discrimination.
These are our preferred GPA, GRE/GMAT, and TOEFL/IELTS expectations for unconditional graduate admission.
Master’s Degree Programs
- GPA – a 2.75 cumulative undergraduate GPA or, for those with US degrees, a 3.0 GPA (4.0 scale) in the last 60 hours of undergraduate study
- GRE – combined verbal and quantitative score of 287, with a verbal score of 145 or higher
- GMAT (Accounting MS and MBA only) – total score of 450
Doctoral (PhD, EdD, DNP) Degree Programs:
- GPA – a 3.0 cumulative GPA (4.0 scale) on undergraduate work and/or 3.3 cumulative GPA (4.0 scale) on graduate work already completed
- GRE – combined verbal and quantitative score of 294, with a verbal score of 145 or higher
Non-Degree-Seeking and Graduate Certificate Programs
- Our non-degree-seeking entrée program requires only proof of a bachelor’s degree for admission.
- Our non-degree-seeking Master’s +30 program requires only proof of a master’s degree for admission.
English Language Proficiency
- TOEFL total score of 79 or IELTS combined score of 6.5
- UL Lafayette Intensive English Program (IEP) score of 6
While many graduate programs follow the deadlines listed below, some program deadlines may vary. If not specified otherwise there, the following application deadlines apply.
|Fall||June 30||May 15|
|Spring||November 30||October 1|
After these deadlines, late fees apply and we cannot guarantee that your application will be reviewed in time to start classes (or receive an I-20, if an international applicant).